Sunday, April 29, 2012

Roads To Success 7.2

-->
What Really Counts

As highly as Jerry values land, he places an even higher value on people.

 “We are Christians and strongly believe in the concepts of the Bible,” Jerry explained.  “And the Bible clearly points out what we are to do with people and for people.”

Where people are concerned family, of course, comes first.  On my first trip to Boise Jerry was driving us to see his home when he related a very unique and entertaining story that beautifully illustrated the strength of his values, and how much he cared for his family.  The story never made it into Jerry Caven’s television episode, but not because it wasn’t worth telling.

It began with Jerry describing how the house we were about to visit came to be.  In the late 1970s, with five children growing strong, the Caven house had managed to shrink around the family.  Business was thriving, and they had the cash, so Jerry and Muriel decided it would be practical to design and build a new, larger home.

Jerry recalled the process as starting with the basics, but then the inevitable began to happen.  Muriel would comment that it would be nice to have a family room at the top of the main staircase and then Jerry would see the advantage of having a home office off the main hallway.

Jerry was a little apologetic and even a little embarrassed as he described how large the house became.  “It was never intended to be such a big project but you get ideas, then more ideas, and I guess it just kind of got out of hand,” he reminisced.  “Anyway, we ended up with this fourteen-thousand-square-foot house.  We had it decorated and furnished, and then moved in.”

The Cavens had not been in the newly constructed house too long before Jerry began to observe something he didn’t feel particularly good about.  “I don’t think my kids had ever thought about how much we had before.  You know, I don’t think they gave any thought to my assets or how much money I earned,” Jerry explained.  “But then we’re all in this big house and after a while I didn’t like the way they were acting.  We were all developing an attitude that I didn’t like.  Even Muriel and I started to forget our priorities.”

After giving the issue a great deal of thought and prayer, Jerry took action.  “I didn’t tell anybody, not even my wife, and I went out and bought a normal-sized house,” Jerry recalled.  “Then I invited my wife to lunch.”

Muriel wryly recalled that upon receiving her husband’s lunch invitation she thought he was going to ask for a divorce.  There was absolutely no tangible reason for her to believe such a thing, but during this period of their lives Jerry was extremely busy and spending a large amount of his time at work; he rarely invited Muriel to lunch because his schedule didn’t allow it.

Jerry explained his observations and concerns to Muriel over lunch.  “I told her how I felt about the kids, their attitude and all,” he recounted.  “She knew what I was talking about and agreed.  So, we left the big house and moved into this other house I bought.  I hired a caretaker to stay in the big house and we were gone for twenty years.”

In August of 1999 Jerry and Muriel moved back into the house they had built twenty years before.  They never considered moving out of this beautiful home a sacrifice.  Their love for their children, concern that their children develop healthy values and maintaining their own healthy perspective was simply more important.

© 2012 Philip Kassel

No comments:

Post a Comment